Sunday, February 13, 2011

Not the valentines I planned


We make valentines with Liam every year.  Well, this year, of course, it was just me and him.  Our little family.  I had an idea that he could use this fancy M. Stewart glitter in really pretty colors to embellish the hearts.  We mocked up one a week or so ago.  Looks great.  Liam created random sized patches of glue on a cut out heart, sprinkled on the glitter, and away we went.  Two or three colors of glitter, plus the heart color, looked great.

But, when it came to actually making his valentines for school he didn't want to use that glitter. He wanted to use his glitter glue pens.  How he loves glitter glue pens.  I am continuously covered in little bits of glitter and glue.  Always.  So, this is what we ended up with.  They're actually pretty cute.  We'll write the name of each child and "love Liam" on each one in marker.

He does like to participate in the making; last year's valentines are my favorite.  But even that first year when he was just 18 months old, he had ideas about which valentines should go to which kids and teachers.  Sweet.

No owl update yet; we've had pouring rain in the evening Saturday and again tonight.  Although I did hear him/her again this morning around 4AM.  I think it is either a Western Screech-Owl or a  Northern Saw-whet Owl, which would be cool.  Either would be cool.  I am obsessed with the idea of an owl nest box.  Of course, the trees are in my neighbor's yard. . .and owl nest-boxes are notoriously bad to clean. . .details.

2 comments:

jen said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I have been following your blog for a long time and feel badly I haven't written sooner. I am deeply sorry for you on the loss of Will and can't imagine how painful this must be for you. My husband has CF and has been listed and waiting for a double lung transplant for 18 months. We have a 3 year old son and I am pregnant with our second child. I don't know how else to say this but you are living my worst nightmare. Yet your strength and grace is an inspiration to say the least. It is amazing to me that you can not only make it through these difficult days but be able to enjoy time with Liam and appreciate nature and all the little things despite all you have been through. I just wanted to let you know you are an amazing woman and Liam is very blessed to have you as his mother. I wish you all the best and will be continuing to follow your blog. Thank you for sharing.
P.S. I love Liam's hearts!
Sincerely,
Jennifer
jennaidan@earthlink.net

Kate said...

Hi sweetheart-
I think your owl sounds like ours!

who
who
who cooks for you?

and the valentines are lovely.

You've been in my thoughts and heart and I just want to send love to you.
I wish you lived right next door, and we could just be. I'd show you my favorite hike, and feed you tea and cake and wish (even more than I already do) that I could really cook.

Funny that as a word person, I've been so short on words. I just hate grief. I know that the sucky can be pretty darned sucky.

Know I am sending love, because I am. And wishes that spring brings, what, hopefulness I guess. Tomato plants. Peeper frogs.

xoxo
Kate