Tuesday, May 15, 2012

At the end of a long day

After an unexpected school cancellation for Liam on the first of Three Very Long Days in a row for me,  I feel so lucky to have returned home to the following note from Liam's lovely babysitter.

Things we did today:
  • Got ice cream, "I got to eat an ice cream cone today!"
  • Saw ducks in the lake
  • Saw little fish in the Sound
  • Climbed the tree
  • Sawed a branch up
  • Played with legos
  • Got to pet 2 friendly dogs
  • Road bikes around the block

Reading between the lines, this means they took the $5 I left them this morning and walked half a mile downtown across the bridge to the ice cream store, then across the street to the lake to run around in the big open space, and were outside most of the day.  An adventure.  Perfect.

They also replaced all the batteries in all the flashlights (some small person tends to leave them on and I thought it might be nice for him to be involved in repairing them), fed and watered the chickens, and picked up sticks and random debris from the yard to put in the green bin.  She is firm with him but positive and kind and they do well together.  She remembers sunscreen and snacks and Liam reports she "never talks on her phone." 

Welcome back to my parents today who are here for the summer and were nice enough to treat Liam and me to dinner.  I may survive this week after all.

1 comment:

Dream Seeker said...

I always love reading your blog, reading about Liam and his adventures and your life together. I have been following you for some time and without fail, your posts manage to make me see something magic and precious in my day. The way you hold Liam and create a nurturing space for him, the way you have forged a life for yourselves amidst such grief, truly amazing. Thank you for sharing it all x