Sunday, July 5, 2009

Beach


Liam was up at 5:30 today. He's been on a trend line towards earlier waking all week. I am a morning person and generally happy to be up at 6:00 but this 5:30 thing, I think, was really too much. Up at 5:30 and ready to go do something fun. The first thing he said to me (after "Daddy" which is almost always the very first thing he says) was: Beach. So, after a little snuggle, some time watching "e-o-e-o-e-o" (Liam's word for the video about animals that we let him watch sometimes, I bet you can guess the soundtrack), some waffles and blueberries (if I am up at 5:30 I think I deserve waffles, at least), we were finally off to the beach. Because I'm a very nice girl, I loaded Mollie in the car so she could come too. She loves to swim. Because they're very nice people, my parents called me back at 7:45AM and said, sure, bring them to the beach at our house. This meant I got coffee too and could let Mollie off the leash. Also we got to read stories at my parents house after, resulting in a rare picture of Liam and Mommy reading.

Other happenings: Liam had a hair cut today. Our neighbor cuts his hair (she cuts mine too). This is not quite as weird as it sounds. She used to cut hair at a fancy, expensive place but quit about 8 years ago to stay home with her three kids. As they got older, she started cutting hair from her house. It's homey. You get your hair washed in the kitchen sink, for example. And it's inexpensive in the extreme. She's great and she was nice about Liam crying and crying and clinging to me like a limpet. Also, 3 blueberry bushes were bought by me today at the farmers market, and as soon as I get peat moss (tomorrow) they will go in the ground. We're getting a big push of marine air (finally) and it promises to be 10-15 degrees cooler tomorrow and maybe even rain. What a relief.

Finally, I have done no work this weekend beyond open and read (but not respond to) a few emails. And most I haven't even opened. This is very unusual and feels quite nice as long as I don't actually think about it because when I do I get that queasy I am way far behind at work and am going to be in big trouble feeling. If tomorrow is very productive, I won't be totally sunk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Quite the morning! Glad you guys had some fun.

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great day!!

Kate said...

yay, early morning does mean waffles, I agree!
yay, haircuts and in-the-sink hair washing. (Feels nurturing to me)
and yay blueberry bushes!

and I hate my version of the queasy being behind feeling, I hate it. and hope you manage to take it easy sometimes without having to deal with That as a consequence.

have a wonderful day tomorrow,
Kate