Tuesday, December 16, 2008

One down. . .many to go


Finished the first Christmas gift today: homemade granola for a colleague who as been so kind and helpful to me this year. She retired last year after holding a variety of executive jobs, she still advises a number of elected officials and does a little consulting and has been so very generous about introducing me around and advising me. Yet another thing to be thankful for.

She's a mountain climber/hiker type, so the card is a postcard by Kirchner, known for being branded as "degenerate" by the Nazis---just stop and think about that one for a second---because, well, things were pretty free and loose around his studio, apparently. His more familiar work is the figure paintings and nudes, I guess. I'm not wild about them, never have been overly keen on what modern expressionism does to the human form, although I suppose that's just because I don't know enough about it or something, but, I like the mountain landscapes. Something about how he captures both the beauty and the menace in high mountains; and those wacky colors. Nice. Very hard to find a link that even shows even one image of one of his mountain paintings; but the one above does.

I don't know how many other homemade Christmas gifts will actually be finished this year. As usual these days, I seem to have many more ideas than discipline to finish them.

In other news, Liam has been getting more and more interested in the Advent calendar. He really likes the picture of the deer, and wants to look at it every day. Late last week, we opened one of the little doors on to a picture of a boat. Great joy and ah! ah! ah! noises, which is Liam-speak for "boat." Since then, he has been a lot more interested. Today's picture was a hat. Very seasonal -- it was 14 degrees outside when Liam and I left the house this morning. Hat weather indeed.

No comments: